Trinity College Library Dublin holds the largest collection of manuscripts and printed books in Ireland.
The Long Room:
The main chamber of the Old Library, the Long Room, is nearly 65 metres in length (213 ft), and houses around 200,000 of the Library’s oldest books.
When built, it had a flat plaster ceiling, with shelves for books on the lower lever only, and an open gallery:
By the 1850’s these shelves had become completely full. In 1860 the roof was raised to allow the construction of the present barrel-vaulted ceiling and gallery bookcases.
Marble busts are placed down either side of the room, a collection begun in 1743.
There were few manuscripts in the display case for people to admire. Other treasures in the Long Room include one of the few remaining copies of the 1916 Proclamation of the Irish Republic which was read outside the General Post Office on 24 April 1916 by Patrick Pearse at the start of the Easter Rising.
Here are a few photos of the Trinity College campus:
In some areas of the campus, the tourists were out-numbered the students.
Trinity College was founded by charter of Queen Elizabeth in 1592.
The Old Library, was built between 1712 and 1732 to the design of Thomas Burgh.