For various post themes in 2013, I acknowledged three remarkable women. Coincidentally, their great contributions are spread in three different fields–Madame Curie in the sciences, Ping Fu in computer technology, and Malala Yousafzai in education and they are from different generations and continents.
Marie Curie (1867 – 1934) was born in Poland. She studied at Warsaw’s clandestine Floating University. In 1891, aged 24, she went to study in Paris, where she earned her higher degrees and conducted her subsequent scientific work.
- Earned a PhD in physics, and her professors declared that her dissertation was the greatest single contribution to science ever written (http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/themes/physics/curie/).
- Shared the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics with her husband Pierre Curie
- Won the 1911 Nobel Prize in Chemistry.
Ping Fu (1958- ) was born in China. When Ping came to U.S. in 1984, she was 25 years old, had only $80 in her wallet, and spoke only three words (hello, thank you, and help) in English. Two decades later…
- In 2005, Inc. magazine named her the “Entrepreneur of the Year”.
- In 2010, she received the “Leadership Award” from the CAD Society.
- In 2011, she was given a “Lifetime Achievement” award by the Triangle Business Journal.
- In 2012, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services named Fu as an “Outstanding American by Choice”.
- Serves as a member of the President National Advisory Council for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (appointed by President Obama).
- By 2012, she has received 38 awards.
- In February, 2013, she sold her Geomagic Company for $55 million.
Malala Yousafzai was born on July 12, 1997. “People have prayed to God to spare me, and I was spared for a reason — to use my life for helping people” quote from ” I Am Malala.”
Listen to Malala speech at The UN Assembly
Malala year in highlights (2013):
- July – Malala Addressed United Nations in New York
- July – I’m Malala song released
- Sep – Opens world’s largest library in Birmingham
- Oct –Receives “Raw in War” Award 2013
- Oct – I am Malala Book was published
- Oct – Malala was nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Oct – Met Queen Elizabeth in Buckingham Palace
- Oct – Met Barack Obama in USA
- Nov – Was selected as the “Glamour woman of the year”
- Nov – Received Europe’s biggest Human rights award Sakharov
Next time, when you want to tell a young girl how pretty she is, also tell her how smart she is.
Visit the 8 International Women’s Day 8 March…